12 June 2005

Telling secrets

This blog is so moving ... and thought-provoking. As a convert to the Roman Catholic church at the age of 15, I found the Sacrament of Penance (as it was known then) to be one of the toughest, yet most healing, parts of life as a Catholic. If I'd not had regular confession - and been spurred to do it by my overwhelming hunger for the Eucharist -- I don't know what might have happened to me, as my life got to be very difficult immediately after I entered the Church.

My heart aches for those who send in their postcards, their secrets... but I am so grateful they do, because they teach me and guide my prayers. And I am grateful to the one (those?) who maintain that blog; in a very real way, it is a ministry.

My dear friend and I both suffered greatly in our lives from keeping secrets, but we could not imagine an alternative, and had phobic reactions if it was even suggested. It was how we were brought up. Keeping silent about one's wants, needs and feelings was taken for granted. Anything else was self-centered and wrong to the point of wickedness. It has taken most of our lives to learn that the opposite is true of love relationships: no hiding, except for presents. :)

No comments: