14 August 2005

Thinking about choice

The blog feminine-genius is one of my occasional stops. I appreciate the time and research that goes into that blog. As I grow older, I'm finding I have less and less patience with those who would co-opt the thought of young women, to the point where the freedom of information is completely restricted.

It is simply criminal to raise young girls without a real choice: the information they need to decide how they want to live their lives.

Girls' choices are many, and complex, and a significant number of them have lifelong consequences. The easy way out is not always the best way.

In my visit today, I came across a link to this article, with this arresting quote:

A woman, with her cycle of fertility, is not a forest to be cleared or a mountain to be strip-mined. Instead, she’s like a garden, yielding her fruits to the patience and care of the loving husbandman. Neither are children pests to be warded off with chemicals. Instead, they’re a crowning gift of marriage, the visible fruits of a love too strong to be contained in just two bodies.

The whole article is worth a read. And a discussion with the young women in your life.

No comments: